Saturday, September 20, 2008

Not facing Mecca, or Washington, but the Body

I want to follow up on the Yoga post I made the other day and Seane Corn's thoughts on Yoga. She says, as I quoted her, that we cannot approach God through the head but have to do it through the body. This gets us into feeling and feeling gets us to surrender.

Since I have been in Saudi Arabia I have done Yoga hundreds of times. But every time I do it I face away from the direction of Mecca and instead face the east, the land of the Buddha and the Dharma. This is partly a revolt against Islam. But it is also a taking on of their practices too, since some Yoga poses, such as Down Dogs, clearly involve prostration and a kind of submission. So am I moving toward Islam or away from it? Both, probably. I believe I am on the verge of something here and simply wanted to say that this is probably Seane Corn territory.

Speaking of the body as an avenue away from and to God, lately I have been very irritated at Republicans in my country and their embrace of Sara Palin. I get so angry with Republicans that I loose all perspective. I have begun recently to give this to my yoga practice and dedicate it to all those who I know who feel the same way. New Age silliness you say? Suggesting that it is not is this verse from Matthew which jumped out at me the other day. You may not think the body can be thought of as a kind of altar upon which we lay our junk, but we have several major world traditions saying something contrary. It also suggests that Yoga may be a way of facing neither Mecca, nor Washington but the body and that place where "we move and have our being."

Matthew 5:21-26

21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother [15] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults [16] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell [17] of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26 Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny. [18]

No comments: